Leg 19 Douglas to Portpatrick


Leg 19 Douglas to Portpatrick. Our first Scottish Harbour. Yippee!!!!!!!!



A very long journey with grey overcast skys to begin with and then some very strong winds to end with and a very concealed entrance to Portpatrick which at the time was quite nerve racking but turned out to be very easy.

PortPatrick is quintessentially the most British of small harbours. Absolutely fantastic place to spend a few days and explore. The people in the harbour were extremely friendly and the people in the local pub was also extremely friendly. They looked up on the internet using there iphones and computers and even made phone calls in order to find out and book trains for my daughter to get back from Straenrar to Kettering and booked taxi for 6:00am unbelievably helpful lot. Thanks.














The rise and fall of the tide in this harbour is huge. However knowing this I allowed plenty of slack line  when mooring up to the mooring rings. However not enough as it turned out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was awoken from my slumber the next morning when I could here shouting etc. I jumped up and headed straight to the cockpit and in my dreaery half asleep state I realized the boat was severely tilted over to the Port side and people where shouting at me from the quay side. The boat was hanging fom the mooring lines and the weight of the boat was being held by the fairleads and cleats. I ran back down in to the galley picked up a knife and immediately cut the ropes. Morgen fell back in to the water and a small tidal wave swept across the harbour making the other boats hit and bump against each other. Woops!!!!!!!!!















Anyway what a brilliant place to be. I was sorry to see my eldest daughter leave, but I knew I was on the home straight, so to speak I was afterall now officially in Scotland. Another few marinas and if all went well I would be in Kip marina having covered a thousand Nautical miles and be welcomed by Fran and Georgia..

No comments:

Post a Comment